Monday, January 28, 2008

Journal Challenge Day #23

Scripture: Acts 23: 11
The following night the Lord stood near Paul and said, "Take courage!"

Observation:
Paul had a rough time in Jerusalem. He was violently beaten, thrown in jail, mocked and almost killed. Why? For standing up for Jesus and telling others that he was raised from the dead and now calls everyone to follow him. Paul was placed in prison by the Roman guard to protect him from being murdered by the angry mob. During the night, Jesus came and stood near Paul and encouraged his heart.


Application:
Life and ministry can be grueling. I certainly haven't had to deal with the pain, betrayal and opposition that confronted Paul - but when life gets bad you need someone to come alongside you and pick you up. I thank God for my wife, family and friends who encourage in difficult times. But there is no greater comfort in the world to know that Jesus himself stands with you in the storms of life. He is a faithful friend who's got my back no matter what.

Prayer:
Jesus, thanks for standing with me while I stand for you. I pray you will continue to watch over me and guard my life. Thank you for the comfort and peace you bring and for never leaving me in my time of need.