Monday, January 14, 2008

Day #9 Journal Challenge

Scripture: Acts 9:27
"But Barnabas took him and brought him to the apostles."

Observation:
Saul was on a personal crusade to rid the world of Christianity. As a Rabbi, he was charged with the responsibility of squashing this uprising by persecuting the early believers with punishment of death in some instances. He was a bad dude. And everyone feared him.

But after a personal, life-changing encounter with Jesus, Paul left his murderous ways and devoted his life to telling others of Jesus. Of course, many didn't believe he had changed. They thought he was a fraud simply using Jesus to get to them so he could have them thrown in jail or even killed. Everyone but Barnabas. Barnabas believed in Paul. He saw the change was real. He stood up for Paul that act of courage changed the course of the church forever.

Application:
I can choose to believe the best in people or I can choose to believe the worst. I am of the persuasion that you can teach an old do new tricks. God does have the power to change lives, even the worst of all sinners. Everybody needs somebody who will believe in them and stand up for them. Paul had Barnabas. I thank God for the "Barnabas" in my life. But I'm reminded that I need to be a "Barnabas" for someone else as well.

Prayer:
Thank you for the Barnabas people you've put in my life. People that have believed in me and saw my potential and encouraged me to do great things for you Jesus. Most of all, thank you for seeing the best in me Jesus and for believing in me. Help me continue to see the best in others. Let me be an encouragement to someone today.