Friday, January 18, 2008

Day #13 Jounral Challenge

Scripture: Acts 13:36
"For when David had served God's purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep."

Observation:
King David served the purposes of God in his generation. The purposes of God are eternal. That means they never change. However, David served God's unchanging purposes in an ever changing culture. And then he died.

Application:
This is one of my life verses. I want to spend the rest of my life serving the eternal purposes of God in a contemporary, temporal culture. It's my goal to teaching the timeless truths of God in a timely fashion. You see, God's message never changes - he's the same yesterday, today and forever. But the method to communicate that message must change with ever generation. The church is in danger of losing an entire generation of young people because we are unwilling to mess with the method without changing the message. The mark of growing churches in the 21st century will be the ability to have spiritually mature people who can discern the difference between the eternal things of God and the current cultural expressions of worship.

Prayer:
God, help me serve your purposes in my generation. I know you want to reach all people and so many are so far from you because we have not taken the time, effort and the risk to reach them at their level of understanding. Help me lead PCC into the future and reach the next generation for you without compromising your message.