Friday, January 25, 2008

Journal Challenge Day #20

Scripture: Acts 20:24
However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me - the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.

Observation:
Paul's main goal in life was to complete God's purpose of preaching the gospel to all he met. It's almost like nothing else mattered to him. All else was not a matter of consequence. This simplistic, focused life gave Paul a great sense of direction and enabled him to do great things for the Kingdom of God.

Application:
I guess what I've learned about Paul's pattern in life that sometimes less is more. There are so many things that I can do with my time and gifts. But Paul narrowed his life down to just a couple things and because of that he was able to do so much. Most of all, Paul understood that his life wasn't about him. It's not about me either. It's about what God wants to do in and through me that matters most. It reminds me of the words of Jesus ... "if I want to find my life, I must be willing to lose it."

Prayer:
God, you've reminded me today that it's not about me. It's not about my hopes, dreams, desires or goals. It's all about you. Help me not to lose sight of this fact. Let me lose myself in you. I pray like John the Baptist, "That I may decrease so that you may increase."