Thursday, January 17, 2008

Day #12 Journal Challenge

Scripture: Acts 12:6-7
The night before Herod was to bring him to trial, Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains, and sentries stood guard at the entrance. Suddenly an angel of the Lord appeared and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him up.

Observation:
Peter is arrested and put in prison for spreading the Gospel by perhaps the cruelest of all leaders during the early church - King Herod. This was one bad man. He was known for even killing members of his own family. Instead of cowering in fear as he is chained between two Roman guards - we see Peter sound asleep. That's crazy! You would think he would be filled with fear and at least praying. But no, he's just catching some serious Zs. In fact, he's sleeping so hard that the Angel, after whispering a couple times to rouse him (my embellishment), halls off and sucker punches him in the ribs to wake him up.

Application:
What an awesome picture of trust. When Peter is facing certain death by King Herod's sword - he is completely at peace as he sleeps in the Roman jail. I guess he learned the lesson after all when Jesus was on the boat with them one day and a major storm blew up on the lake. Peter and rest of the crew were freakin' out and thought they were going to die. Meanwhile, Jesus is sleeping in the back of the boat. Jesus rebuked the disciples for their little faith and then quieted the waters. Now the student has become the teacher as he sleeps in spite of the storm. What a picture. I need to relax and trust God in the face of opposition and attack from the enemy. God is in control.

Prayer:
God, teach me to trust you more today than I did yesterday. Help me to let go and give all my cares and problems to You. Remind me that you alone are God and nothing comes into my life without your permission. Give me the faith to catch some Zs in spite of the storms. Amen.