Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Journal Challenge Day #18

Scripture: Acts 18:5
When Silas and Timothy came from Macedonia, Paul devoted himself exclusively to preaching, testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ.

Observation:
Paul was working hard trying to build the church in the city of Corinth. He was slugging it out in the synagogues on the weekends trying to convince the Jews of Jesus as Messiah. But during the week he was swinging a hammer and cutting leather as he fashioned tents. That's right - Paul was a bi vocational minister. He worked a 9 to 5 job to support his ministry and missionary endeavors. Finally, some help showed up in the form of Silas and Timothy so Paul could then give 100% of his ministry efforts to preaching.

Application:
Ministry is grueling and tough. It's not for the faint of heart. It's even more difficult for bi vocational pastors. My heart goes out to my friends who have to work full or part-time jobs on top of trying to build a church. That's why we need people to come alongside their pastor to help. Paul had Silas and Timothy, as well as others. When they committed to help him, Paul was freed up to focus on his strengths - preaching. If we are going to be successful in ministry we have to lead from our strengths.

Prayer:
Father, thank you for those you've placed in my life to help me in ministry. Without each of them, my prayers would have gone unanswered. The are precious gifts to me from you and I thank you that their help has allowed me to focus on prayer, preaching preparation and leadership development. Help me continue to lead from my strengths as we build your church.