Sunday, January 13, 2008

Day #8 Journal Challenge


Scripture: Acts 8:30
"The Spirit told Phillip, 'Go to that chariot and stay near it.'"

Observation:
After Stephen was martyred for the faith, a great persecution broke out against the church as the Christ-followers were scattered throughout the entire ancient world. However, God used that event to help spread the Gospel. Philip was directed by the Holy Spirit in a specific physical direction to help a man find his was spiritually. It's interesting how the Holy Spirit was also working in the Ethiopian mans heart - creating a hunger for Christ - even before Philip meets him. Because Philip obeys the Spirits leading the man gives his heart to Christ.

Application:
God wants to partner with me to reach the lost. He will direct my steps every day and give me opportunities to share Christ with those he is already preparing in advance to receive Christ. Soul-winning is a partnership. But I have to my part. I have to go where God directs me and I have to be willing to "stay near" (vs. 30) the lost too. It's all about building relationships and friendships with those who don't know Jesus for the sake of eternity.

Prayer:
God, thank you for the gift of salvation. It's amazing how you loved me so much that you would send your son to die for me. Help me share this gift with others that are far from you. I don't want to keep the greatest news in the world to myself. Guide my steps today and prepare the hearts of those you would have me speak with about Christ. Amen.