Thursday, January 10, 2008

Day #5 Journal Challenge

Scripture: Acts 5:38-39
For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting God.

Observation:
The chapter began with a story about a couple in the church that tried to dupe God in their giving. Instead of giving the full tithe, they held some back. Also, they tried to deceive the church family which had been giving generously. Eventually, they paid for their sin - not with their money but with their own lives. The chapter ends with two apostles being thrown into prison for preaching about Jesus. As they faced their own certain death - God miraculously set them free and literally saved their lives.

Application:
Motivation of the heart is crucial in the Christian faith. It doesn't pay to be in something for yourself. When I am selfish and want to promote my own agenda - I will lose - just like the first couple in the chapter. On the other hand, when I put God and others first and exist to promote the agenda of Christ - like the apostles - I will win. Fighting God is a losing battle. I guess it comes down to this, "Do I want to fight God or would I rather have him fight my battles for me?" Today I chose to not fight God in my finances, my relationships, and my future. I chose to live for God's purposes and let him take care of the outcome.

Prayer:
God, thank you for a new day. It's a fresh start - a clean slate. The next 24 hours are a gift from you and I pray you help me use each of them to accomplish your purposes in my life and in the lives of those I touch today. I want to do your bidding today with selfless acts of kindness. At the end of today, I pray that my efforts on your behalf will not fail.