Saturday, January 26, 2008

Journal Challenge Day #21

Scripture: Acts 21:1
After we had torn ourselves away from them ...

Observation:
Before setting sail for Jerusalem, Luke says that Paul literally had to tear himself away from the church of Ephesus. The people loved Paul so much and Paul loved them dearly in return that this graphic parting of pastor and people is almost too much to bear. Obviously, they had formed a deep bond for each other and it just killed the church to have to say goodbye. Paul, as well, must have been torn between wanting to stay with the church he loved so much but also knowing his work for Christ called him to go on.

Application:
This picture of a pastor who was so tight with his people made me examine my love for the people of PCC. I can honestly say I love our church. Well, I love most of those in the body. I guess there are some members of the body that are like an appendix - they don't really do anything but you know they could just explode one day and kill you. Just kidding : ) I really do love our church. I know we're not perfect - but I love PCC warts and all.

Prayer:
Dear Lord, thank you for PCC. Thank for the opportunity to pastor a great church, which is full of my best friends for life. I pray you will draw us all closer to one another as we grow closer to you. Thanks for raising this church up. I pray that you will give me the honor of leading this one church for my entire life. Amen.