Monday, January 07, 2008

Day #2 Journal Challenge

Scripture: Acts 2:42
"They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the breaking of bread and to prayer."

Observation:
The early church was devoted to three things: God's Word, community-building and prayer. This spiritual trifecta truly defined what Biblical community was all about in the first century. As a result the church experienced miraculous happenings, extravagant generosity, rock-solid friendships and most of all - the winning of souls.

Application:
God is looking for people of devotion. People that are defined by a singular purpose in life. Tunnel vision. Devotion isn't a word we hear a lot about lately. In our consumer driven society, there isn't much brand loyalty anymore. Loyalty goes out the window when I can save a buck or experience less hastle. When God's people make an irrevocable commitment and single-minded decision to read and study the Bible, foster friendships and take care of one another's needs - God shows up.

Prayer:
God help me grow in my devotion to you and your Word. Give me a new zeal for the others and especially for the lost. I want to be part of a revolution here in the Pocono Mountains that is crazy about You and crazy about this community. Help me weed out all the distractions and non-essentials in my life - the things that steer me off course and slow me down. I want nothing more than to give you my best today. Amen.