Saturday, January 19, 2008

Day #14 Journal Challenge

Scripture: Acts 14:15
We are only men, human like you.

Observation:
Paul and Barnabas were given great power by God's Spirit to perform miracles in order to form a beachhead for the Gospel in a very difficult place. After healing a man who had been cripple from birth, the people of the city assumed that Paul and Barnabas were two mythical god's come down in the form of men. However, Paul and Barnabas, upon hearing this news, made a great confession - we are not God - we are just humans like you.

Application:
There are two great confessions in the Bible. One was made by Peter in response to Jesus asking him, "Who do you say I am?" Peter said, in essence, "You are God." And the second great confession took place here in Acts 14 when Paul and Barnabas said, "We're not God." What a great reminder to me. God is God. And I am not. It's so easy in life to take matters into my own hands and pretend that I am God for the day. This scripture is just yet another reminder that I cannot do it all, know it all, be it all, have it all, etc. God is God. I am not.

Prayer:
You are God of the universe. Thank you for being you. Now help me be me. Just an ordinary guy who believes in an extraordinary God. Help me trust you more, stress less, and pray like I really know you hear and will respond.