Friday, June 22, 2007

What I'm Excited About - Part 5


5. I'm excited about our current sermon series on James that we are calling "Do It."



This is my first-ever verse-by-verse book series. It's been really cool to study and preach on the most practical book in the Bible - James. We called the series, "Do It" because the key verse in the entire book is found in James 1:22, where it says, "Do merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."

James coined the phrase, "just do it" eons before Nike. You see, James understood that most Chrsitians are educated way beyond their level of obedience. Most Christians don't need another sermon, another Bible study, another opportunity to pray - they simply need to put into practice what they already know to do. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for prayer, studying the Word and small groups and discipleship - but not at the expense of actually putting into practice what I already know I should be doing for Christ.

If we are going to grow in Christ, reach this mountain with the gospel, feed the hungry, visit the widows and those in prison ... than we just need to get out there and DO IT. I'm excited that PCC is an action-oriented church becuase we serve forward-moving Savior.

I'm excited about PCC and our faith. I don't want to just talk about it. I want to DO IT!