Monday, June 11, 2007

Dream Team 2 - Character

I'm in Sprigfield, Missouri this week co-presenting at The Assemblies of God Theological Seminary with Dr. Stephen Lim. I have been spending some time with 16 doctoral students in a class called "Leading Missional Ministry." The class was awesome today. We talked a lot about developing a church planting and evangelism strategy. Please keep me in prayer tomorrow as we will be discussing small groups and discipleship strategies.

Now, back to our conversation on building a dream team. The second most important criteria in a team member is ...

2. Character

Character matters. The best definition of character I ever heard was, "it is who you are when no one else is looking." There is no substitute to character. You can fake a lot of things in life and ministry, but you can't fake character. Who you are on the inside will always be revealed publically.

Here are some thoughts on character ...

*it defines who I am in Christ
*it builds or destroys team unity
*character determines my level of loyalty
*it influences my work ethic
*it shapes my relationships
*it reveals my commitments to the spiritual disciplines