Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Happy 10th Anniversary

Okay. I have to interrupt this weeks blog. My wife, Bekah, and I are in New York City celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. I'm actually blogging today from the Apple store in Madison Avenue. What a cool store. You've got to come to NYC and see it.

I love my wife. I can't believe we've been married for 10 years already. Holy Cow! I guess time really flys when you are having fun.

Bekah and I came in to the city last night and had dinner with some friends. We're just hanging out today and enjoying a little getaway. We're reminiscing about the last 10 years and laughing a lot about our shared experiences. Tonight we are going to go see the hot Broadway show, Wicked (it's about the Wizard of Oz).

Anyway, before we get back to shopping and eating and walking, here are a few thoughts about reaching 10 years of wedded bliss:

1. Love is a decision. After the honeymoon is over, along comes morning breath, back hair and kids and the stresses of life. Love is a committment and a choice that you make every day. It's more than a feeling.

2. Learn to focus on your own personal growth, not your spouses. I remember saying when Bekah and I first got married, "I'm going to learn how this girl ticks. I'm going to learn all kinds of stuff about her - what she's like, her personality, her stregnths and weaknesses, etc." It wasn't too long until I realized that marriage forced me to learn more about me than her - like how selfish, impatient, critical, etc. that I can be. A strong marriage is only made possible when you focus on changing yourself, not your spouse.

3. Laugh a lot, especially at yourself. Bekah and I just love hanging out and enjoying one another's company. Much of our time is spent laughing at the silly things we do or the crazy things our kids do. Laughter is like medicine, it takes the pain out of life and makes you feel so much better.

4. Let Jesus be the center of your life. Our marraige is built on Christ. He's the foundation. He determines who we are and thus how we treat one another. It's not about us, it's about Christ and what he wants for our lives.

Well, there's a lot more I could share but I want to go spend time with Bekah.

Have a great day!