Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Unnoticed Worship


I'm privileged to be able to post this week in Pastor Dave's absence. I am excited to join this leadership team and this incredible church family. As Pastor Dave mentioned on Sunday I will be overseeing the Creative Arts & Worship ministries at PCC. I would like to spend the next few days sharing some thoughts with you on worship and hopefully together we can grow our passion for worship.

David lived a life of worship and God considered him "...a man after mine own heart" - Acts 13:22. I want to focus on one of the characteristics David displayed as a worshiper. David was unnoticed as a worshiper. Sometimes we are only interested in others seeing us worship. We've all been there, myself included, in church and making sure we are making a good impression with our worship. David embraced the hidden place where he would 'hang out' with God. It was in that place, a place of isolation / unnoticed, that he sought out the heart of God. David found times to be alone with the creator of the universe and focus on Him in a time of worship.

Matt Redman, a worship leader, defines an unnoticed worshiper as this: "one who is willing, even when things are going well, to step back and check in with God. They realize the key to worship is not what goes on amongst the crowds, but what occurs before the King....God." One of the keys to becoming an unnoticed worshiper is taking ourselves out of the equation and focusing solely on God.

A goal in my life is to make time for those moments when I wholeheartedly worship God in a quiet place, unnoticed and away from the crowds and distractions. I pray that we all find those quiet places and become a people seeking the heart of God.