Monday, January 19, 2009

Bad Weather Lessons

We have had snow and ice storms 8 out of the last 9 Saturday nights into Sunday mornings here in the Poconos. 

As a result, we have had to cancel two weekend services. On three other Sunday's we were only able to have one service. What's more, 3 other Sundays we could have cancelled services like many other churches in our community.

As a pastor, I can't tell you how frustrating it is to fight the weather. Well, instead of "fighting" the bad weather, I will tell you what I've learned from it.

Some Lessons Bad Weather has Taught Me About My LIfe/Church

1. Much of life is out of our control

At PCC, we put a ton of work and energy into planning, preparing and praying for our weekend services. We do our best to create God-honoring worship environments that help people encounter the presence of God. 

There are a lot of things that we can control - the sermon content, the worship song selection, the stage decor, training and equipping volunteers, etc. But when it comes to the weather - that is completely out of our control. Life is like that. There is no telling what tomorrow may bring. 

So, instead of trying to be a control-freak, I've resigned myself to the fact that I can't control everything, especially the weather. I've discovered that there is something far greater than trying to control everything - and that is simply doing my best and then letting God take care of the rest. Do my best. Let God do the rest. Overtime, God will honor our best efforts and he will work all things for the good - even bad weather. 

More tomorrow...