Monday, January 05, 2009

Pray Like Jesus

Yesterday we kicked off the first sermon series of 2009, Pray Like Jesus. If you want to listen to the message, click here.

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm asking the PCC family to participate in a corporate fast every Wednesday for the month of January. This week I want to spend some time talking about the significance of this spiritual discipline.

What is fasting? Fasting is when I abstain from something (usually food) for spiritual purposes.

Biblical Examples:
Moses (Exodus 34:28; Deut. 9:9,18), David (2 Samuel 12:16), Elijah (1 Kings 19:8), Nehemiah (Nehemiah 1:4); Esther (Esther 4:16), Daniel (Daniel 1:12), Anna (Luke 2:37), Paul (Acts 14:23), Jesus (Matthew 4:1-2), the early church (13:2).

Perhaps you could spend some time today reviewing these scripture verses and make a commitment to fast this Wednesday.

Tomorrow I'll talk some about the purposes and benefits of fasting.