Monday, July 30, 2007

"Keep it Moving" Guest Contributor Kevin Weaver


While Pastor Dave is fishing in Canada he asked me to share some thoughts with you! I'm glad for the opportunity to dialogue with you during the course of this week, but given the choice, fishing sounds pretty good. In light of that I felt it might be fun to use a metaphor that would allow us the next best thing. Not quite like being on the lake in reality but at least it helps us to connect with Dave just a little in spirit.

After yesterday's service God is really challenging me about "rowing the boat". As I arrived at the office this morning I discovered a few issues that will certainly make rowing a little more difficult. It seems my schedule will be quite demanding and at first glance, my occupation will be consumed with "plugging holes" in the boat and dodging other boaters instead of plotting a course and moving across the lake. Sometimes staying afloat takes priority. I'm sure that sounds pretty familiar. No doubt, to some degree most people have those feelings...especially on a Monday.

So the question is, "How do we keep moving when concerned about floating?"

Asking that question reminds me of being on the lake with my dad when I was kid. We did some fishing from time to time. One thing that I do remember is the little boat we would use to fish in had a plug in the back that would leak when we were not moving, but as soon as my dad would start the engine and we would get underway, he would pull the plug and all the water would miraculously drain right out of the hole.

Maybe this is a good lesson for us! It seems that the best way to stay afloat is to "Keep Moving". And, not just moving in some random direction, but moving under God's power and direction. As I'm writting this I'm growing more confident that if we can stay focused on His schedule for life we won't ever have to worry about sinking!

By the way, if none of this makes sense to you, I would suggest checking out yesterday's message from PCC at http://www.poconocc.com/ if you didn't "catch" it. That might help you understand my discourse. I hope!!