Monday, July 09, 2007

Current Events Week - Part 1

This past Sunday I asked the people of PCC to give me some blog topic ideas. One that caught my interest was "current events." So, this week, I'm going to spend some time each day talking about news stories, politics, media, economy ... whatever is going on in our world. If you have some ideas on other blog topics, please email me at pastordave@poconocc.com or post your comment below. Thanks.

Life is Fragile

Perhaps you heard the trajic news of a mother and three children who drowned on July 4th in Bridgeport, CT as their mini van accidentily rolled down a hill into a pond. The family was getting ready for a picnic in the park with friends and family. What you might not have heard about was the fact that the women who died was the sister of a family here at PCC.

While our hearts and prayers go out to the family this week as they lay their loved ones to rest, here are a few ways that this incredibly sad event has touched my life:

1. Life is fragile. The Bible says our lives are like a mist or a vapor. We are here one minute and gone the next. Don't take life for granted. How am I living today in light of how brief my time is here on earth?

2. The best time to love is now. Never leave your family without saying, "I love you." Tell your family that you love them every day. Kiss your spouse every time you walk out the door. Hug your kids neck every chance you get. Show your family and loved ones how much you love them every day. Don't save anything for a special occassion. Use the good china and crystal for every special event - like losing a pound or the first day of school. Who can I share my love with today?

3. Walk closely with Jesus. Tomorrow is promised to no one. Every day we have is a gift that comes from God. My eternity is based on my relationship with Jesus. It's all who you know. Do you know Jesus? Who can I sahre the love of Jesus with today?