Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Best Birthday Gift Ever

Today is my birthday. Yes, I was born thirty-six years ago this Valentine's Day.

It's been kind of a crazy week here in the Crosby house. We've got two sick kids and my wife isn't feeling well either. She hasn't been able to even leave the house for a week and she mentioned to me last night how bad she felt for not getting me anything for my birthday. Things have been so hectic at work that I told Bekah that I haven't even given much thought to my birthday and not to worry about it.
Well, that's when I got the best birthday gift a dad could ever receive.

Last night when putting my 5 year old daughter to bed she told me and Bekah that she wanted to pray to ask Jesus to come into our heart. Bekah and I melted. We've never even really talked to her about praying a 'sinners pray' yet and she just came out with it.
She prayed the sweetest prayer you could ever hear. She told God how she loved him and how she was sorry for all her sins. She thanked him for sending Jesus to us and told Him she believed that Jesus died and rose again. She thanked him for the angels who rolled the stone away and she asked Him to help her to live for Him forever.

You know, I read recently that less than 4% of Christians were led to the Lord by their parents. How sad is that? It breaks my heart - especially after last night. The most important thing we can do for our families and children is to teach them to love God and to love others. The most important decision is to live for God and ask him to forgive you of your sins.
This Valentine's Day I have a renewed sense to help families experience what Bekah and I were fortunate enough to experience last night - leading our families closer to Jesus.