Thursday, July 17, 2008

Staying Sharp

This is my Braun razor. I love it. I used to be a Remington man - but I've converted to the light. Nothing like a close shave in only minutes time. My dad bought me my first Braun for Christmas a couple years ago. Lately, it's been taking me longer and longer to shave and then I realized that the blades on this thing must be dull.

Yesterday I got a new set of replacement blades and micro screen. My Braun is back! It's cutting like a hot knife through butter. It literally takes half the time to shave with the new blades.

Abraham Lincoln once said, "If I had only 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend the first 6 sharpening my axe." I think about all the things I have to do on a daily basis and ask myself, "What am I doing to sharpen my skills as a leader, pastor, church planter, husband, counselor, etc." Everyone wants to get more done in less time. The key is to in preparation.

Here are some of the things I'm doing to stay sharp:
  • Spend more time in God's Word / prayer
  • Read, read, read
  • Commit to a coaching relationship
  • Prioritize my schedule - get more done by doing less
  • Relax
What are you doing to invest in you?