Thursday, July 03, 2008

Singing with Sting


When I was a teen, Sting (musician, front man for The Police), sang a song with the line, “…if you love someone, set them free”. Stupid song. I’ll bet Sting either didn’t have kids, or they were really young at the time. I’ll bet Sting either wasn’t - or won't be - belting that one out at any of his kids’ high school grad parties.

A few weeks ago, our oldest son graduated from high school (that's him and his brothers on the right). Though he will be attending a local university this fall and works next door to me at the church office, something about “us” has already changed. Though we’re a tight-knit family, I’ve sensed a bit of a pulling away. Probably not a bad one. Probably a right and normal one. One my husband (his dad) seems to be doing better with than me. It’s bitter-sweet. On the one hand, I’m proud that - at this point in his life - he seems to genuinely love the Lord. He’s headed out on a couple of missions’ trips later this summer and can’t wait. On the other hand, he’s also been headed out on a more local level lately, and I recently learned he has plans for July 4th…plans that don’t include Mommy. (Like that's gonna' be any fun...)

The kid is registered for Selective Service, for Pete’s sake! He is an adult. But, when did that happen? I remember when I thought he would never potty in the potty or say “refrigerator” instead of “free-rigerator”. To the best of my ability, I’ve trained him up and my time of daily, big influence has come and gone. I’m just so thankful that God’s has not.