Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Bald Spots


Because he lives on the other side of the country and doesn’t know Pastor Dave, I’m hoping that Jeff, one of our family’s dearest friends, isn’t seeing this blog. So the photo of his balding head may be a little weird, but when I ran across it the other day it really made me think about something other than the fact that we’re all getting older. It was New Year’s Eve 2002 and we were staying with Jeff and his wife, (one of the most cherished people in my life) Mary Beth. Jeff and my husband, Kevin, had just shot off a lot of fireworks (an eye doctor and a pastor, kids!) and we had retreated back inside the house to play a round of “boys vs. girls” Cranium (Mary Beth – math questions, Kevin – history questions, Jeff – science questions, KyAnne – um…useless information!). Out of the blue, Jeff handed me a camera and said, “I think I’m really going bald up there but I can’t tell how bad it is. Take a picture so I can see.”

Today, I’m thinking of the bald…or blind…spots in my life. I have inklings (through the Holy Spirit) that I’ve got some, but I’m not always humble enough to ask the Lord to show me the evidence. Thanks for the lesson, Jeff.

Okay, God, take a picture so I can see.