Saturday, July 05, 2008

Hug Me, Brotha'!


A few years back, my family picked up a line from a popular kids’ show that goes, “Hug me, Brotha’!” Every time my now almost-men children use this to call out to one another, I crack up. Although they do love each other and have some good times, my boys (there they are again...hugging... in the picture) do have their “moments”. Moments that used to consist of crying over who got the biggest ice cream cone as preschoolers to who got to ride “shotgun” as tweens to “you’ve been in the shower 20 minutes…get out NOW!” as teens.

When they were small, I got a lot of unsolicited advice on how to deal with their relationship issues. Someone told me to have them memorize scripture if they fought. The first one I thought they would probably use was Mark 8:33, “Get behind me, Satan!” followed by II Corinthians 12:7, “…there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me!”. Conversely, it was suggested that I should just “…let ‘em duke it out!”.

What’s the answer to the inevitable relational issues that come up between brothers, or any of us for that matter? I suggest some balance. Properly interpreted and applied scripture (preferably ones that don’t support the idea that the other party involved is Satan's right hand man) and putting into practice some honesty and problem solving skills are good things to implement. We’re a flawed people so we’re going to have issues with one another. Hopefully, we can let the Lord help us, speak the truth in love and at the end of the day be able to say, “Hug me, Brotha’!”