Monday, July 28, 2008

Kids Camp

I'm standing with a group of children from our church that are headed out for a week at kids camp. I can remember going to camp as a kid and loving it. My dad was the camp cook and he used to make fresh chocolate chip cookies every night for the hundreds of campers. We had warm cookies and cold milk each night. Mmmmm. What great memories. Of course, the greatest memories were that around an altar into the late night hours where I first received my call to ministry and was baptized in the Holy Spirit.

In my devotions this morning I read in Matthew 18 where Jesus said that the kids were the greatest in His Kingdom. Perhaps it's their innocence or child-like faith or both that make them great.

I read recently that most people that are in full-time ministry today felt called by God to do so before the age of 11. My heart goes out to kids and we pray for those at camp this week that God will speak to them through his Holy Spirit and begin directing them towards His will for their life. May this be a defining moment in the lives of our kids.