Thursday, July 24, 2008

Church Planting Landmines - Pt. 4

Landmine 7: Fear of Money
I can honestly say that I've definitely stepped on this landmine. The first four years of our church plant I think I specifically preached about stewardship four times. Then, when we bought land and entered a multi-million dollar building project it felt as if I had been talking about money all the time.

Here's where I am on the whole "money" issue. First of all, it's not about money, it's about discipleship. Steward, or how I handle God's money, is an issue of discipleship. If I get it right, I will grow as a believer. Any pastor should preach about stewardship as much as he/she preaches about prayer, reading the Word, sharing your faith, etc. However, we don't because we don't want to offend or come across like many of those in our profession that have abused this teaching.

So, I've come to grips in my hear that it's not about what the church needs, it's about what God wants. I am commanded by Scripture to teach stewardship and to challenge the church in this area so that they don't miss all God's best. Paul did it. Jesus did it. So should I.

Here's a hint: I've never had one person complain about messages on stewardship that wasn't a faithful giver. In fact, all the faithful givers ask me to preach about it more! Go figure.

Landmine 8: Underestimating Spiritual Warfare
Paul put it best, "we are not in a war against flesh and blood." The church is a spiritual enterprise, especially the process of planting a new work. The Devil will do everything within his power to destroy new works of God.

I think the two greatest weapons the Devil uses to destroy pastors are fear and discouraged. That's why God said to Joshua several times, "Be strong and courageous."

This chapter reminded me to not lose sight of the importance of this spiritual battle and to take some of the following actions:
  • increase my intercessory prayer team
  • fast and pray more
  • ramp up my individual prayer life
  • encourage stronger participation of our church family at the monthly prayer meeting