Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Pocono Raceway

Many of you know that I am fortunate enough to live in the beautiful Pocono Mountains. One of the great things about the Poconos (in addition to the breathtaking views) is that the Pocono Raceway is located only a few minutes from where our church currently meets in a high school.

A good friend of mine took me up to the track this morning to meet some of the NASCAR drivers (I'm standing with Juan Pablo Montoya in the picture to the left) and hang out in the pit as the crews tested their new tires. I got to hang out with Ryan Newman, Jr., Kurt Bush, and Jeff Gordon.
The thing that impressed me the most about this experience was the absolute attention to detail and the laser like focus of all the teams. Their fine-tuning precision on these 800 horse power engines and cars was crazy. These guys were all business getting ready for the race on Sunday.
It got me thinking about church. What if our churches cared as much about our services and ministries as these NASCAR teams. What would they look like? What kind of environments would we have? How prepared would our volunteers feel? What would the results show?