Monday, June 02, 2008

Qualities of Leadership - Pt. 1

Submission to Authority:
We all live under authority. Think about it. I am under the authority of the US government. If I don't pay my taxes, I go to jail. I live under the authority of the local law enforcement. If I speed on the highway, I get a ticket. I live under the authority of physical laws that govern the universe. If I jump off a bridge without a bungee cord or parachute, I go splat.

But there are also spiritual authorities that govern our lives. The man on the motorcycle is one of those spiritual authorities. He's my pastor and friend - Jim Rugg. He holds me accountable as I lead my family and church. I choose to submit to him as a spiritual authority and he holds me accountable theologically, financially, morally and ethically in ministry. He's my covering.

Authority is not a bad thing. It has been established by God himself to help us, not hurt us. We all need it in our life. It's like an umbrella that keeps us dry in the rain and cool in the sun. The protection it offers is invaluable. Those that cannot submit to any authority are reckless and full of pride. The Bible says that God hates the prideful, but exalts those of humility to high places. We choose daily to submit to authority and when we fail to do so, we disqualify ourselves as leaders and open our lives up to the work of the enemy.