Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Work ON it

There is a big difference between working "in" your church/organization and working "on" it. When I work "in" it, my time is consumed with the daily routine, operational oversight, sermon prep, staff meetings, planning, etc.

However, working "on" my church is akin to taking a ride in the plane and looking at the church from 30,000 feet in the air. It involves asking tons of tough questions like, "are all my systems in place and firing on all cylinders?"; "do I have all the right staff in the right place for the current ministry and who do I need to hire to go to the next level?", "are we accomplishing the vision of the church and how do we know - what tools are in place to measure organizational effectiveness?" and on and on and on.

I've been working "on" the church harder the last couple days than ever. Working "on" your church is kind of like a double-edged sword for me. On one hand, this kind of stuff excites me and fills my mind with anticipation for all that God is going to do in the future. On the other hand, it scares me to death when I consider how in world are we ever going to get all this done.

How about you? What are you working "on" not just "in". Your marriage ... career ... parenting ... heath ... home?

You can take a 30,000 foot perspective on your life by just sitting at your kitchen table and starting thinking and dreaming and working "on" it, not just "in" it.