Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Hardy Group

Today I'm doing a podcast with my friend Dick Hardy, founder of The Hardy Group. Dick is a great guy with tons of energy. He loves to partner with pastors and local churches, especially during times of staff and leadership transition. 

I had lunch with Dick last week when I was in Springfield MO and he asked me to share some of my thoughts on best practices when it comes to hiring new staff at a local church.

Click here to subscribe and listen to the podcast.

Here are some basic highlights:
  • The people you hire will determine the level of your success
  • Hire slow, fire fast
  • Hiring superior people is a learned skill. That gives me hope.
  • The best interviewers don't make the best employees. 
  • Boring job descriptions usually attract the worst candidates
  • Clarity on what you want the new hire to do is critical
  • Develop a hiring system that enables you to hire the best people
  • Never hire an inexperienced person for an important job