Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Father's Day

This weekend is Father's Day. My message title for Sunday is, "God: #1 Dad". I wanted to share a post today about some of the characteristics I've learned about my heavenly father through the example of my earthly dad.

Here are just a few:

1. Faithful - my dad is the most faithful man I know. My dad is "Mr. Steady Eddie." Nothing rocks his boat. He's never too happy and never too disappointed. He lives his life on an even keel. That kind of consistency produces stability. One of my dad's favorite lines is, "An irrevocable commitment to continuity produces emotional and spiritual stability."

2. Forgiving - Father's need to possess a forgiving heart, especially when it comes to their children. I thank God everyday for His forgiveness and for the fact that he gave me an earthly dad who has such grace to cover over my multitude of mistakes as a young man. Like the father of the prodigal son, dad's need to have the kind of forgiveness it takes to welcome their son home even when they've disgraced the family name and blown their inheritance.

3. Fun - Dad's need to have a great sense of humor. The Bible says in the book of Ecclesiastes that "there is a time to laugh." I love the fact that I have a dad who knows how to have fun and enjoy life. He's told me more than once not to take myself too seriously. I want to pass that same joy, laughter and lightheartedness on to my kids so they know how to have fun and enjoy life.