Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Back To School

Last week while visiting my family in Harrisburg I took my 10 year old nephew out for a hair cut. While we were walking through the mall he wanted me to buy him a toy at his favorite store. As we entered the store I saw these cool backpacks hanging on the wall.

Instantly I was transported back to my childhood days where I proudly carried my lunch and drink and books in my Charlie Brown lunch box and Snoopy back pack. I sensed the Holy Spirit say to me, "Dave, buy 100 back packs for needy kids in your community and present them to the church and ask the congregation to take them, fill them up, and bring them back to the church so they can be a blessing to those in need."

I thought, "that's crazy." But I listened and obeyed and I'm proud to say that last week our PCC family took all 100 back packs with excitement. In fact, they were upset that I didn't buy more. So, we had about 100 more people commit to go out and buy a back pack on their own and fill it up with the suggested supplies.

I'm so proud of you PCC. You are a generous and loving church. I'm looking forward to seeing all those kids with smiling faces sporting their new back packs. I can't wait to see what God will do through this simple act of kindness. As Christians, we are called to show the love of Christ in practical ways. Perhaps God will open a door for you today to demonstrate His love to those in need.