Monday, August 20, 2007

212 Degrees

I just finished reading "212: the extra degree" by S.I. Parker. Parker's premise is that people often give up to too early in life. The extra effort, says Parker, will push you over the edge to your dreams. For instance, at 211 degrees, water is just hot. But at 212 degrees, water boils. Parker says, "applying one extra degree of temperature to water means the difference between something that is simply very hot and something that generates enough force to power a machine."

I've found that in life, it's often the small things that make a big difference. The extra study time on a message makes a good message a great one. The extra effort in trying to communicate effectively with my wife transforms our good marriage into a great marriage. Working out just 5 more minutes on the treadmill builds stronger muscles and greater endurance.

God calls us to excellence in this life. We are told to do everything as "unto the Lord." Jesus gave me His best so He deserves my best. I refuse to settle for mediocrity and perpetual half-hearted commitment. The greatest things in life (marriage, business, church, relationship, education) will always cost you something. And that little effort in the end - just when you feel like quitting and giving up - will help you realize your dreams.