Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Spirit of Christmas

I've been thinking a lot lately about the spirit of Christmas and asking this question, "What is the spirit of Christmas?"
  • To the liquor industry, it comes in a bottle.
  • To Scrooge, it was a ghost.
  • To Hallmark, it comes in the form of sending a card. (Some 5 billion cards will be sent this year.)
  • To some, it's all about friends and family and sharing a meal together.
  • To many, it's giving.
Biblically, I've come to discover that the Spirit of Christmas is WORSHIP. All throughout the Christmas story, you read how people extemporaneously explode into worship for God.
  • Elizabeth worships God when Mary visits her.
  • Zachariah erupts into worship at the sight of his son, John, who would prepare the way for Christ.
  • Mary worships God when she resolves to carry out His purpose.
  • Angels worship. Shepherds worship. Wise men worship. All creation worships.
So, this Christmas, I've determined to see everything I do as worship unto God.
  • My time with my church family this Christmas Eve at our services will be filled with worship to God.
  • My time away from work with my physical family is going to be worship unto God. My family is a blessing from God.
  • The gifts I give to loved ones will ultimately result in worship ... because I recognize that I can only give because God has given to me.
Everything we do can be worship unto God if we keep Christ at the center.