Friday, April 18, 2008

"Lessons on Serving"



“I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered when I receive news about you. I have no one else like him, who takes a genuine interest in your welfare. For everyone looks out for his own interests, not those of Jesus Churst. But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel.” Philippians 2:19-22.

I’ve just been spending a lot of time in Philippi lately. Well, in reality, the book of Philippians. Most of us are familiar with the incredible picture of Christ’s servant-nature found in verses 6-11 of chapter 2. But, today I am struck with verses 19-22 and the picture of the relationship between Paul & Timothy. This is always such an encourgement when serving in a role in support of others.

You see, serving wasn’t about getting attention or kudos for Timothy. He was a pretty awesome church leader in his own right, but come on! He was mentored by Paul, the Billy Graham of the New Testament! Fortunately, Timothy cared first and foremost about Jesus getting all the attention…and the church advancing the Gospel.

We may not all leave an amazing legacy as great as Timothy’s…but, we can all look after the interests of our Lord. He was interested in people coming to know the Father by using humble, willing people to serve.

While Pastor Dave is away during a time of rest, I'd like to take the next few days to talk about some of the lessons I've learned about how we can truly serve Christ by serving others. More to come....