Saturday, April 26, 2008

Gone Fishin'

On my day off yesterday I went fishing with a friend. We had an awesome day - except for the bugs and ticks. I must have pulled about 20 ticks off me. Yikes!

We caught 10 fish, only 5 keepers. Fishing for me is like therapy. It helps me relax (even more when I leave my Blackberry in the car). I'm learning that you have to take a break from your schedule on a periodic basis to unwind and let God refresh your battery. In fact, taking a sabbath is so important that it made God's top ten list (See Exodus 20).

You can't run at breakneck speeds in life and expect to make it across the finish line. In fact, if you don't take a break from your schedule, your schedule will eventually break you. I heard someone say once, "If you burn the candle at both ends, you're not as bright as you think you are." So, take a break and go fishing or do something that puts some fuel back in your energy tank.