Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"And the Glory Goes to..."


Today I would like to tell you a little story about my wife! Now, before you get too nervous for me, please understand that this story is expressed with her complete permission. (Telling stories about your spouse can sometimes be dicey, but not in this case, I assure you)

KyAnne had an epiphany of sorts about 8 years ago. While in prayer one night she told me she realized that most of her life she had used God for her glory, and not the other way around. You see, she’s a pretty bright woman and had long understood that God’s ways are smart ways and it just made sense to her to do the right things. When she did, for many years, right things happened right back. I've often wondered if that's why we even see many non-Christian celebrities and world leaders using principles found in Scripture in launching their own brands of religion or philosophies.

The bottom line...Jesus works. You can bank on Him every time - all good Christians know that. But, I guess what we all need to remember, is what my wife came to grips with that night at an altar of prayer: we are here to be used for God’s glory, and how He chooses to use us for that purpose is His prerogative. Joseph (the Old Testament one) understood this from a pit. Paul understood this from a prison. Jesus understood this from a cross. A pit, a prison, a crucifixion - not exactly what most of us have in mind when we sign up for the glorious life in Christ we imagine.
But, when we’re weak, He is strong…when we’re willing, He empowers us…when we decrease, He increases…when these things happen, people find salvation…and God gets the glory. I have to tell you, that experience is better than any other!

I'm sure that if we were honest with ourselves, we would all agree that this is a lesson we need to hear often. I know I do, and I'm very glad that God gave me such a wonderful woman to remind me.