Friday, March 14, 2008

Remember


I'm headed to Nashville today for some meetings. On my way out the door, my little girl Kate came running up to me with a little pink princess keepsake box (pictured to the left). It's a special toy to Kate and she NEVER lets anyone, especially her little brother, David, touch it or play with it.

She asked me to take the keepsake box on the trip and every time I look at it I was to remember her. I gotta tell you, my little girls request made me melt in my tracks. What she was saying to me was that she loved me so much that she wanted me to think of her while we were apart. That will make any father's day.

It got me thinking about the importance of remembering. All throughout the Old Testament we see God working many miracles for his people. After the miraculous event, God instructs his people to build altars or dig wells or some other physical act of remembrance. Why? So they wouldn't forget the moment in time when God came near and performed a miracle. Of course, the greatest icon of remembrance in faith is the cross. Everytime I see the cross I remember that Jesus died for me and I'm filled with such gratitude and thanks.

As we prepare Palm Sunday in the liturgical church calendar this weekend, let's not forget to remember Christ and his sacrafice of love.