Thursday, March 13, 2008

American Idol

Ok. So I'm a big fan of American Idol. David Archuleta is my pick for this season. If you've been following the show at all, you'll recall that a couple weeks ago David sang Imagine by John Lennon. It was awesome. I think it was the best performance ever in American Idol history. However, David's past two performances have been subpar. And that got me thinking.

So many times in life we fear success, not failure. And here's why: because it raises the bar of expectations. In life, you will always be measured by your best performance, not your worst. Often times people intentionally sabotage themselves for fear that they might actually do well and then be forced to live up to a higher set of standards. It's really unfortunate if you think about it.

The thing I love about God and ministry is that God's power is perfected in my greatest weakness. That takes the pressure to perform off the table. I can swing for the fence and know full well that even if I fail, God can still use me if my motivation is to bring him glory. So go for the high note and take a risk in life. Don't be afraid to fail. Failure to try your best is actually the biggest failure of all.