Thursday, May 31, 2007

Why I Give

Here are some reasons why I practice Biblical tithing.

1. It makes me more like God. The Bible says that God was a giver ... "For God so loved that He gave." Every time I give it makes me a little bit more like my Heavenly Father.

2. It reminds me that everything I have comes from God. God doesn't need my money, time or talent. He asks me to regularly give them to Him so that I will never forget the source of everything I have in the first place - God.

3. It breaks the grip of greed in my life. It's hard to be a stingy, miser while you spend your life by giving your stuff away.

4. Giving helps me trust God for everything. When I give out of obedience to God's Word it forces me to trust God in every area of my life.

5. I don't want to rob God. When I don't give, the Bible says that I am robbing God. A good friend of mine just told me that he isn't going to rob God just because gas prices went up. That's good advice!

6. When I give, I make an eternal investment. God uses my financial gifts to help reach people. At the end of the day, the only thing you can take to heaven is people. Everything else, including my 401K and retirement nest egg will eventually rust and decay. But what is a human soul worth?

7. I give to get only to give again. The Bible says that a man reaps what he sows. I believe in that process. If I so seeds of faith and blessing, than I will reap those same resources. However, it never ends with me. I give so that I can be blessed and I desire God's blessing so that I can in return be a blessing to others.

How's your giving?