Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Why I Study

As you may know, I recently graduated from seminary with a doctoral degree in leadership. Please don't misunderstand my telling you this as a prideful, self-promoting statement. My intention in sharing that with you is only to inform you of my deep commitment to personal growth.

So, here's why I spent the last 10 years of my life in higher education along with tens of thousands of dollars on education bills.

1. Leaders are life-long learners. The moment I stop learning as a leader is the moment I stop growing as a leader. I read over 100 books a year, attend conferences, listen to tons of leadership tapes and constantly hang around people that are much smart than me and ask them lots of questions. Learning is a lifetime sport.

2. Learning is fun. I enjoy studying, reading, researching and writing down my thoughts and ideas. Learning is a creative journey that captivates my heart and imagination.

3. Our church needs me to grow. A leaders organization will never grow beyond the leader.

4. It's a spiritual responsibility. The Bible speaks about the need for followers of Christ to show themselves approved and to be ready to give a response for why they believe what they believe. I have an obligation to give my best to understanding faith and Scripture.

5. Learning teaches me perseverence. If you are like me and not naturally gifted with a great intellecutal skills, studying can be present a difficult challenge. However, I have discovered that learning is more a matter of an iron will than a sharp mind. It teaches you that with a dogged determination, you can accomplish anything you set your mind to.

So, what are you studying today?