Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Lessons from Disney #1

I recently had the opportunity to spend some time with my friend Brian who is a VP at Disney. Currently he oversees the mobile gaming division. My kids were very excited to know that their dad met the man who oversaw the development of one of their favorite games, Jelly Car. Very cool dad.

Brian taught me some invaluable lessons he has learned over the many years he's been with Disney, especially those related to organizational culture and team building. So this next set of posts I share what I learned from Brian and Disney. Thanks Brian!

#1 - You can't fake enthusiasm.

+The most successful people within Disney maintain a genuine love for what they do.

+They get to put smiles on peoples faces and create memories for families that last a lifetime.

+Enthusiasm for the Disney brand and being part of the Disney staff is all about attitude. Sure, there are good days and bad days but the best of the best always stay positive no matter what's going on in the organization.

+People that work at Disney call this infectious enthusiasm as being "Pixie Dusted."

+For me, working at PCC is a blessing, not a burden. I can't believe I get to do what I do for a living. I'm literally living my dream. Sure there are tough days and disappointments along the way. But I go to work every day with the mentality that I can't believe I get to do this!

+I've found that negative people suck the life out of a church or staff culture. They bring everyone down. If you don't love ministry, then it's best to find something else to do. Life is too short to not love what you do and who you do it with.

+On the flip side, a genuine, enthusiastic spirit is infectious. It creates joy and excitement and permeates every person you encounter and ever project you work on.

+Maintain an enthusiastic attitude and you will last in the ministry and enjoy your life.

+I'm excited about our church and the team that God is raising up to touch this community. The fact that we get to tell people about Jesus and create experiences that help people get right with God and inherit eternal life is almost too good to be true. On top of that I then to get to watch people grow to spiritual maturity. I can't imagine a better investment of my life.