Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Lesson from Disney #5

Lesson #5 - Learn How to Retrain Great Staff Members

+My friend at Disney talked specifically about how to retrain great staff member (emphasis on great). He's got a great team that he manages now and has dealt with plenty of transition in his tenure.

+All great staff members ask these 3 questions:

1. What do I get to do?

2. Who do I get to do it with?

3. Am I a valued contributor?

If the answer is only "yes" to two out of the three, than you will not be able to retain great staff members. In other words, if you get to work on the Cars 2 team and report directly to the director but your job is getting coffee and reviewing scripts for typos you might not want to be on that team because you don't see the value in your contribution.

+I'm learning that great staff members want to work with great people while doing what they are passionate about and add value to others in the process.

+In my experience, building a great staff isn't easy. I've experienced more than my fair share of transition. Sure, I'm not a perfect leader and my organization has plenty of room for growth. But I'm learning that these 3 questions are essential in building a great staff and positive morale.

+I make it a practice to discuss these questions with my staff regularly and if there is an issue I do my best to address it immediately.

+The reality is that if a staff member cannot genuinely answer these 3 questions in a positive and passionate tone than it is best for them and the organization to move on.

+Our organizational culture becomes our currency for retaining great staff.