Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Ring Tones

I've got the coolest ring tones on my cell phone. In fact, I set special ring tones for the people that call me most. For example, my wife's ring tone is digital recording of her voice telling me to pick up the phone. It's actually quite funny. I know it's her calling before I even pick up the phone.

When God wants to call us, He's got some cool ring tones too. Jesus said, "My sheep will know my voice." If we listen carefully to the call of God, we can find guidance and direction on the journey of life.

Here are a few of the ones I've noticed in my life as it relates to the call of God in ministry.

1. A Call to a Place - This is a geographical call. Much like a missionary is called to a specific nation or a church planter to a strategic city.

2. A Call to a Position - This is a vocational call. Some of my friends in ministry a called to do something specific for the Kingdom. This could be a call to the worship or creative arts (music or video editing) or student/children's ministry.

3. A Call to a Person - This is a personal call. Sometimes God calls people to serve specific leaders much like the "mighty men of David" in the Old Testament were called to serve him.