Tuesday, March 08, 2011

When God Says No

King David thought he was going to build a house for God. It bothered him that he was chillin' in his own crib while the presence of the Lord rested in a portable tent. So David shared his plan with prophet Nathan. Initially, Nathan gave the King the green light saying, "Do all that is in your heart, for God is with you." (1 Chronicles 17:2)

But that night God spoke to the prophet and told him that David would not build the temple. Instead, his son, Solomon would carry out the construction project. Nathan delivered the news to David saying, "It is not you ... you are a warrior not a builder ... your son will build the Lord a house."

Has God ever told you no?
  • Don't date/marry this person.
  • Don't take this ministry position/make this career change.
  • Don't buy this house?
Instead of crying and complaining and second-guessing whether or not he heard from God, David simply submitted and surrendered to the Lords will. In fact, he said, "Who am I and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far?" In other words, "God, this is your house, this is your dream, this is your plan ... I'm just your humble servant and you know what you need more than I know what you need ... so I will just get out of the way and play whatever role you want me to plan in your great plan."

When God says no I have a couple options:
  • Resist God and plow forward and do my own thing
  • Run from God and have a pity party
  • Realign my plan to fit his plan knowing
God's plan is always better than your plan. God's plan is always bigger than your plan. The Bible says, "His ways are higher than our ways." God sees life through an eternal, heavenly perspective. He sees the big picture. The next time God tells you know, take a cue from take and simply realign your plan with His and understand that God knows best. He guides the steps of a righteous man. Trust him.