Thursday, March 03, 2011

For This Reason I Bow

Great people are people of great prayer. Great prayer leads to great power. And great prayer always begins with great posture.

Paul prays in Ephesians 3:14-21, "For this reason I bow."

To bow or to kneel or to get low is the true posture of prayer. It's the practice of humbling ones body as well as ones spirit before the Lord. Humility captures the attention of God. It's a declaration of dependence. It's says, "God if you don't show up and help me I am undone." This kind of prayer flies in the face of self-sufficiency. It's power made perfect in weakness.

It's what Jesus did in the Garden of Gethsemane in Luke 22 when it says he "knelt down" to pray and he prayed even "more earnestly."

What would our homes, churches, and schools look like if we made ourselves low before the Lord and prayed even more earnestly as Jesus did in the garden.

Perhaps you could pray this prayer of Paul in Ephesians 3:14-20

Jesus give me STRENGTH. (Eph. 3:16-17)
  • i can't do ministry on my own
  • i can't do life on my own
  • i can't do your will on my own
Jesus give me SCOPE. (Eph. 3:18)
  • to understand the depth of your love for all people
  • to comprehend the cruelty and compassion of the cross
  • to put aside my personal preferences and get a vision for the lost
Jesus give me the SPIRIT. (Eph. 3:19)
  • fill me with the fullness of the Spirit
  • to go beyond belief and receive the Spirit of Christ (Acts 19:2)
  • that Your power and presence may be with me
The result of this prayerful posture of body and soul is an immeasurable move of God in our day and generation.