Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Lessons I'm Learning ...

This latest episode with my son Will shook me up pretty good. Here are a few lessons learned through this unnerving last couple of days:

1) Much of life is beyond my control. I'm somewhat of a control freak. But it's situations like this that remind me that God is the One that is ultimately in control. So whether it's my family, the church or ministry or the future - my trust is completely in God.

2) Adversity can foster intimacy. My wife and I are never closer than when we are going through a difficult time. It's the unexepected and unctrollable circumstances in life that bring you closest to those that you love.

3) Problems create perspective. Life gets simple and clear during challenging times. When you go through something like this, everything else that you think was such a big deal is put into perspective.