Monday, August 17, 2009

Compassion in Action

What is mercy? It's compassion in action. It's finding a need and filling it. It's hearing of a hurt and healing it. The Great Samaritan demonstrated mercy when he bandaged up the wounds of the man left for dead in the ditch. He saw the need and did something about it.

The Apostle Paul said God has given each of us a ministry of mercy. In life, you get what you give. If you've received mercy, you have no problem giving it.

Here are some ways I try to show mercy every day:
  • Forgive those who criticize me
  • Help those in need (especially my wife and kids and staff)
  • Encourage other pastors that are struggling in their ministry
  • Ask the Holy Spirit to help me be sensitive to the needs of those around me.
My memory verse for this week is Micah 6:8, "And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."