Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bible Study Tools

After writing a glowing endorsement of my Logos Digital Library System yesterday it occurred to me ... I can have all the commentaries, systematic theological treatises, and even best practices on church growth and management ... and yet still not have the most important component of inductively studying the scripture - the Holy Spirit

Look at where the church is growing the most in the world today - Africa, South America and Asia. Most of the pastors leading those congregations are lucky to have a Bible and concordance let alone a set of commentaries or digital library system. But they have the Holy Spirit - who Jesus promised would "guide us into all truth". 

I'm not planning on tossing my Logos, but I do want to bring a little more balance to my comments from yesterday. When it comes to Bible study tools, it's not an either/or issue, it should be a both/and proposition. One should desire to have the best tools available to study the Bible yet not neglect the importance of the relationship with the Holy Spirit. The Bible is the only book that you can read while simultaneously speaking with author. Kind of cool, huh?