Monday, November 19, 2007

Let It Snow

Yesterday the Pocono Mountains came to life when unexpectedly over a foot of snow fell in our area. Naturally, that made it very difficult for many of our regular attenders to make it to church. However, I was surprised to see 700 people show up. So, if you missed church yesterday, you can listen online to the message (it will be posted later this evening).

Today was the opening day of bear season in Pennsylvania. I went out at the crack of "O dark thirty" (4:30am) with a couple buddies from the church.

Here is some friendly bear hunting advice for someone considering giving it a whirl:

1) Don't eat a big breakfast and go into the woods unprepared (yeah, it's what you think - not good.)

2) It's more fun hanging out with your friends and getting some exercise than actually killing something.

3) 4:30 am? What are you kidding me? I didn't even know there was more than one 4:30 on my clock!

4) Does bear meat even taste good? They tell me it's great if you cook it like a pot roast. Anytime you have to cook something that simmers so long with other ingredients that it takes on the flavor of those ingredients to cover its own taste - it can't be very good.

5) What would you do with a bear once you shot it? I think it cost like $500 bucks to mount one of those things. I'd rather get a new 46 inch High Def LCD flat screen.

Anyway, can't wait to get up tomorrow morning and go out in the woods!